Stephen Fry, voice of The Professor, said: “This is just about the best integration of imagination, education, technology inclusiveness and fun that I’ve ever encountered. Very proud to have been involved in it, even in the smallest way.”
As players spell their way through the Spellathon digital universe they meet…The Spelling Bees! Spelling Bees are unlocked every time you fundraise £3/$5 for Mencap. Each bee has their own character and personality & will vie for your attention. You never know who you’ll unlock along the way…DJ Bee, Fashion Bee, Princess Bee, Pirate Bee, Angry Bee and many more…
So sharpen up your spelling skills in time for the first ever-global Spellathon Championships, taking place virtually from 5th – 11th March 2012. Hosted by ‘The Professor’, entrants will have 15 minutes to record the longest word run of correctly spelt words. Each entrant will also receive an invitation to the grand digital award ceremony after the Spellathon Championships. During the awards, ‘The Professor’ will hand out digital trophies and prizes to the spellers, schools, universities and individuals that hit the top of the global leader boards and raise the most money for Mencap.
Spellathon not only helps people of all ages to spell in a fun, creative and engaging way, it also raises money for the learning disability charity Mencap, and in turn, 25% of the money students fundraise will go directly to the entrant’s school, university union or college to help support students. 100% of individual adults fundraising will go to Mencap.
Sign up today and help us make spelling top of the agenda!
Hazel McIlwraith, Mencap assistant director of fundraising, said: “Spellathon has been a successful, paper based event for the last 18 years. Now, by applying online via laptops, mobiles, tablets and whiteboard technologies with state of the art 3D animation we have the opportunity to take it to a global audience. We are delighted to bring Spellathon to new audiences and to increase support for people with a learning disability. All funds raised will make a real difference to the lives of people with a learning disability.”
Grant Morgan, Co-Founder of Digital Giving, said: “We are delighted to be working with Mencap on this unique project. Using our knowledge and expertise of the very latest technology which children already use in their leisure time, we can engage them in fun and educational play. This new technology has the ability to elevate the world of Spellathon fundraising to a new level.”
Jamie Goldblatt, Co-Founder of Digital Giving, said: “We have created and developed ‘The Spelling Bees’ brand and characters to become the global ambassadors for spelling and the English language. Each Spelling bee has their own personality and within the game contains genre specific word packs, for example ‘Hippy Bee’ sings words to do with nature and art, whilst ‘Angry Bee’ screams the words for you to spell.”
Did you know?
- For every £3/$5 the player raises, or correct words milestone reached, they unlock a character ‘Spelling Bee’- Dr Bee, Hippy Bee, Pirate Bee, Fashion Bee, Princess Bee, Angry Bee, Snuggle Bee, Sporty Bee, Law Bee and DJ Bee
- Spellathon.net is the biggest sponsored English spelling event EVER
- Spellathon.net is the first ever global, digital spelling championship
- Spellathon is the first truly multi-platform educational fundraising event available to play online, mobile, whiteboard and tablet
- Spellathon will be available for Android, IPhone, IPAD, and Blackberry devices
- Spellathon.net is accessible to all ages – from primary and elementary school children, through college/university students to individual adults
- Spellathon’s mobile applications have already secured distribution via app stores and operator portals around the world, providing a potential audience of over 1 billion! and rising
- The Co-operative are promoting Spellathon to their 5 million member base
- Other big distribution, promotional and partner announcements will be made in November
Join the BUZZ & BEE part of something special, register now at www.spellathon.net.