Northern Grid for Learning was established in 1999 to work in partnership with 7 Local Authorities in the North East and aims to provide high quality digital learning experiences for educational professionals and their students.
More specifically, Northern Grid will:
- Deliver a world class broadband experience which supports learning across the region.
- Ensure the online safety and protection of all users of the Northern Grid network and their data.
- Deliver high quality services and value for money, bringing significant annual cost savings to Local Authority partners and their schools.
- Promote the take up and embedding of online and digital technologies to better support the outcomes within Every Child Matters, The Children's Plan and Harnessing Technology.
- Support the delivery of anytime, anywhere learning, exceeding national guidelines for networked systems, security, data storage and personal entitlements.
- Foster school creativity and innovation by supporting the development of best practice and expertise in the use of ICT to optimise learning opportunities and maximise achievements.