With the Christmas break fast approaching, I thought that I’d run through some simple tips to keep your school’s Apple devices safe, secure and ready to use when your pupils return in January.
- Give your security procedures the once over – Are you certain that your CCTV and burglar alarms work? Have your Christmas decorations obscured the view of your security cameras? By checking that your security measures are in ship-shape in advance of the last day of term, you can prevent a great deal of inconvenience and ensure peace of mind over the holidays.
- Remember to set your alarm – an obvious point, but that one that is easy to overlook amongst the excitement of the end of term. Make sure that you put time aside to set your school alarm and double check that all windows are locked before you leave the building; it can be easier than you think to forget.
- Lock them or lose them – Just like laptops, lock iPads in a secured lockable cabinet or trolley that can be bolted to the wall overnight to keep them away from thieves. For Macs, invest in physical security solutions to bolt equipment to desks to keep them secure.
- Turn on ‘Find My iPad’ – if your school’s iPads are stolen, you need to minimise the risk of a thief using the device to obtain sensitive data. By enabling the ‘Find My iPad’ tool, you’ll be able to remotely lock or wipe the device in the event that it is stolen, or even try and locate your iPad if you lose it. All you need to do is log into iCloud if you misplace the tablet.
- Back up your data – hopefully, your school’s iPads will never be stolen, but, if it they are, you need to be prepared. By regularly synching your device to iTunes, you can make sure that all your information is safely copied to your computer, just in case. iPad charging trolleys are a great way to do this automatically, if you don’t want to sync each device manually.
In following the above advice, you’ll be on your way towards a worry-free Christmas break, safe in the knowledge that you have take steps to protect your school’s Apple devices.
Merry Christmas and enjoy your time off!